Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Fire and Ice

The Gaylord Texan is currently displaying their 5th annual ICE exhibit, this year featuring Dr. Seuss’ holiday classic "How The Grinch Stole Christmas”. The artists recreated the beloved classic from 2 million pounds of ice! The exhibit tent is an arctic 9 degrees and bone chilling cold, even with the huge parka they provide. The kids loved the show and didn’t complain about the cold (perhaps due to my irrefutable motherly preaching beforehand)






Carissa's first exposure to the cold
>






The ice slide that I was ever-so-eloquently called a “chicken” by Kasey for my non-participation (He even used the chicken arms and the "bock bock bock")










After the Ice show, we were all frosty and needed a defrost so we warmed ourselves with my favorite treat, Starbucks. Not long after we were home, we all passed out warm and toasty in our beds. It was about 4am that I was wakened by the smell of smoke. My room was hazy (and not the California smog kind), so I checked my kitchen for perhaps I thoughtlessly left the stove top on, or maybe due to lack of Charlie Brown tree watering, there was a bonfire in my living room. Nope! So, I went outside and was surprised when I saw smoke coming up from my downstairs neighbor's balcony. I panicked and knocked on the neighbor's door (don't forget, it's 4am!) Of course, no answer. The only thought that crossed my mind is that they've passed out from smoke inhalation and any minute my lovely lil' apartment would be engulfed in flames. So, I proceeded with the infamous 911 phone call. They instructed me to get everyone out of my apartment and outside. In an attempt not to panic my boys, I gently woke them up, handed them their shoes and coats and brought them outside. Carrying my not-so-little Kasey, I got outside just in time to greet the police officers. I told them there was smoke from the balcony and in a mad dash, they rushed around the building. To my surprise, I hear one of the respectable police officers yell in a slightly perturbed voice "It's an electric meat smoker..." Agggghhh, the embarrassment. Just then the fire truck comes roaring around the corner, horns blazing, lights flashing. I proceeded to apologize to the officers for wasting their time and attempted to explain that "I'm from California, we don't enjoy our meat tasting like a fire. I know nothing of this meat smoking." (hahaha) Kasey, in his sleepiest voice, told the officer "UGH, we were in 9 degrees all afternoon and just when I got warm, bam, we're outside being frozen again". So sorry neighbors! I promise to work on learning to distinguish the difference between house fire, and meat cooking.

I intend to help my children live a longer life than me.

Tom's Farms - Aug 2008

Tom's Farms - Aug 2008